MouseWheel :  schmittMachine support schmittMachine Support Home
Questions related to the MouseWheel Xtra 
MouseWheel Xtra v1.3 now supports Apple Mighty Mouse !
Posted by: antoine schmitt ()
Date: May 29, 2007 04:30PM

During a rainy week-end, I ported the MouseWheel Xtra to the Apple Mighty Mouse API (http://www.apple.com/mightymouse/).

Please download MouseWheel Xtra v1.3 to take advantage of this new feature.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/29/2007 04:33PM by antoine schmitt.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: MouseWheel Xtra v1.3 now supports Apple Mighty Mouse !
Posted by: prossel ()
Date: June 11, 2007 06:03PM

Hello Antoine,

Your 1.3 version with Mighty Mouse support is almost perfect. :-)

There is one small thing, however. With the Mighty Mouse, the value that is passed to WheelMouseEvent handler is like 1 or more if you go fast. It is supposed to be a multiple of 120 as with other mice (tried with a Logitech) and as under Windows with the other xtra.

Could you please tell me whether and when you will release a fix ? Just in case I have to code a workaround...

Thank you.

Pierre Rossel

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/11/2007 06:04PM by prossel.

Date: June 12, 2007 12:21AM

Well, actually, normally this is not a bug, but an improvemend of the mightymouse...

Here is the Apple doc :

In [developer.apple.com] :
(...)
kEventMouseScroll is different from kEventMouseWheelMoved in these ways:
- it specifies a scroll amount in both the X and Y axis in the same event.
- the scroll amount is specified in pixels, not in lines.
(...)
Do not multiply this by your line height the same way you would
* for the kEventParamMouseWheelDelta parameter of a
* kEventMouseWheelMoved event.
(...)

Which means that the other mice scroll by line (1 line = 120 pixels says the Apple doc, i don't know why), and the mightymouse scrolls by pixels.

The important thing I think is that the same _finger movement_ scrolls the same amount on both types of mice... Is this the case ? (I cannot tell, since I don't own a mightymouse... ;-§)

Thanks,

Date: June 12, 2007 10:38AM

With my Logitech, if I turn the wheel by one click (this one is noisy), I get an event with a value of 120. With one move of my finger, I can get approximately 10 clicks. Going slowly, each click fires a event with a value of 120. If I go faster, events start getting higher values (240, 360, 480... 1080). Going really fast fires less events for the same move, but with high values.

With the MightyMouse, if I go very slowly, I can get approximately 35 events with value of 1. Going faster, I get 15 events with values between 10 and 50. Going very fast, less than 10 events with values higher than 100, up to 600 sometimes.

A wired MightyMouse is $49. If you have a PayPal account, I send you the money to buy one, if you want, as a gift to thank you for your job and responsiveness.

Date: June 12, 2007 12:48PM

The question here is : which coefficient to apply to the mightymouse in order to have the equivalent ratio of physical movement/returned value...
(Knowing that we should not change the logitech values of 120 so that we have a similar dynamics as the Windows Xtra...)
What number would you suggest given your experience ?

(Thinking about your offer... ;-)

Thanks.

Date: June 14, 2007 03:02PM

Hello,

The question is hard to answer and probably very personal.

What I can say is that, the MightyMouse on Windows itself acts as the multiplier was 120. Tested with the folder list of Explorer and a webpage in Internet Explorer. That means you can scroll as few lines as with other mice, by going very slowly to roll one click, but with the MightyMouse, you can scroll way further with one roll because of acceleration and more clicks per roll.

Maybe the answer is also given by what WheelMouse does under Windows: 1 event has a value of 120 or multiples. Just as with other mice.

I would recommend a value of 120 for a simple reason: to behave the same as WheelMouse so that our multi platform apps behave the same under both OS with the MightyMouse.

However, I would like to have feedback from other users. They may not think the same as me.

Date: June 14, 2007 03:56PM

I cannot decide. I reprogrammed my app to use the actual values as pixels to actually scroll. Of course, the Logitech mouse makes huge jumps of 120 pixels and the MightyMouse makes nice scrolls, smooth to the pixel. Now my app behave the same as the Finder under OS X, which is fine.

I guess you shouldn't change anything until you have a chance to get a MightyMouse to try for yourself.

Pierre Rossel

--
Prossel Software - Programmation et développement sur Director, Flash, php, Typo3, ...

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.