asUDP :  schmittMachine support schmittMachine Support Home
Questions related to the asUDP Xtra 
TCP/IP
Posted by: dmb ()
Date: March 23, 2009 12:06AM

Hi Antoine,

do you know the good old "xtranet.x32" Xtra ?
It was able to establish TCP/IP connections and you could send raw data through sockets. My question: does your asUDP xtra also support TCP in any way ?
If not, which xtra would you choose to deal with TCP in Director? Do you know any?

The thing is: it is supposed to work on MAC and PC with D10 (and D11 but not as important). I could not find any support for the xtranet xtra for mac...

Cheers,

Michael
(Montreal, Canada)

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: TCP/IP
Posted by: antoine schmitt ()
Date: March 24, 2009 11:01AM

Hello,
sorry, no, the asUDP can only do UDP..
Did you try the original xtranet in D10 ? It should work...
Otherwise, you can try the MultiuserXtra, that does TCP and UDP, but needs a central server. It really depends on your needs.
Good luck !

Posted by: dmb ()
Date: March 24, 2009 11:30PM

hello again and thank you for your answer
yes I did several research prototypes in several versions of director on the pc using xtranet.
worked fine until d10.
but now I need it to work on the mac (d10 or d11).
I dont have a mac version of xtranet. is there one at all ?
In case you have it or know where to find it, i would really appreciate the info, since this old but more or less good working xtra seems to be really hard to find.

i already thought about the multiuserxtra, i guess i will also try it.

and another question: I never used UDP before. what do you think regarding to the possible loss of data using UDP in a "perfect" network environment (a bunch of computers connected through a fast LAN) on the one hand and a heavy used internet connection (e.g. from Canada to Europe, or all over the world) on the other hand?
Maybe it is not a big deal to change to UDP if all the packets reach their destination ?

thanks and greetings, michael

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/24/2009 11:31PM by dmb.

Posted by: antoine schmitt ()
Date: March 25, 2009 10:05AM

Given my experience, I would not rely on UDP for perfect package delivery. It really looses data from time to time, or it comes in a different order than it was sent, especially in a public network.

multiuser is really nice. I have done a few projects in TCP using it.

Good luck !

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.